commons-dev mailing list archives

From "David Graham" <>
Subject Re: [ThreadPool] Is this alive? Why not use commons-pool?
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 14:00:06 GMT
Even though ThreadPool has "pool" in its name, it is fundamentally different
that commons-pool.  The symantics of using a thread pool are quite different
than a normal object pool.  Thread pools are better named task queues or
work queues.

The upcoming Java 1.5 has built in support for thread pools in the new
java.util.concurrent package.

>James (Strachan) or anyone else out there: is commons-threadpool alive?
>I see broken images and links galore on its web site.
>Whether it's alive or not, could commons-pool be used for a threadpool?
>Perhaps a subclass of BaseObjectPool with special care in
>synchronization?  Is anyone out there using commons-pool for thread
>I ask because I have a home-grown threadpool implementation I'd like to
>junk in favor of an open-source one.
>Yoav Shapira
>Millennium ChemInformatics
>printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended
>recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system
>and notify the sender.  Thank you.
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: