commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [ThreadPool] Is this alive? Why not use commons-pool?
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 14:01:31 GMT

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 02:50  pm, Shapira, Yoav wrote:

> Howdy,
> James (Strachan) or anyone else out there: is commons-threadpool alive?
> I see broken images and links galore on its web site.

I use it and someone from the Axis team recently pinged me to say they
were using it.

> Whether it's alive or not, could commons-pool be used for a threadpool?
> Perhaps a subclass of BaseObjectPool with special care in
> synchronization?  Is anyone out there using commons-pool for thread
> pools?

Though thread pools are a bit different from object pools. Typically
the usage pattern for a thread pool is to dispatch some Runnable to a
thread pool for processing (maybe creating new threads if required to
do the work).

Object pools are more for resources like JDBC connections and the usage
pattern is more to borrow objects and return them from the pool. Though
the two things are kinda similar.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/