commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [math] mavenization?
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 09:50:45 GMT
On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 07:37 AM, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Henri Yandell <bayard@generationjava.com> wrote on 15/05/2003 04:14:58 PM:

<snip>

>> The Commons maven sites are radically different in information
>> architecture to the pre-existing Commons sites, which as more maven
> sites
>> are added is creating a less cohesive and more federated/independent
>> structure [not that I'm saying that is bad].
> Yep, we need to resurrect the commons-as-a-maven-site idea again.

i think that there are a two separate issues here.

the first is the skinning. some pages use the 'white' or jakarta look.
others use the 'blue' or mavenized look. the issue here probably isn't
really mavenization so much as getting everyone to agree on a common skin.
  commons tends to devolve decision making to the components as far as
possible. i'd guess that we'd have a hard time reaching consensus on which
is better and it'd be hard to convince components who were particularly
attached to a particular skin to change.

the second is the way that the site is linked together. maven generated
components don't contain any links back into the commons site or to the
information held there. unless you know how jakarta and the commons is
organized, it can be hard to work out that a component is part of the
commons and it's even harder to find the common information pertaining to
all projects. non-mavenized components use the jakarta-commons layout and
are much better linked into the whole.

i wonder whether it might be possible to provide a common (and centrally
maintained) section for the maven generated sidebar which contained links
back into information held on the main commons site.

- robert