commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rune Johannesen <rune.johanne...@digitalrum.com>
Subject RE: [beanutils] new code submission
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 13:47:58 GMT
I think adding optional packages is the right thing to do to allow the
BeanUtils project to grow into new, interesting areas.

Rune

-----Original Message-----
From: robert burrell donkin [mailto:robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: 12 May 2003 21:58
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [beanutils] new code submission

sounds interesting but i think that adding dependencies is something that
probably needs thinking about. adding these dependencies to the core would
probably be pretty unpopular with some of the projects that use beanutils.

this issue is a little wider than just beanutils. there are a couple of
regex matcher implementations that i'd like to introduce into digester but
i don't want to introduce a core dependency into digester for the
libraries that would be used.

i was wondering whether we could go down the ant route and split into core
and optional. the stuff will extra dependencies could go under a separate
package which would depend on the core stuff but on which the core stuff
could not depend. so for beanutils, this would mean creating a org.apache.
commons.beanutils.optional package which would be build separately from
the core stuff.

what do people think about this idea?

- robert