commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [math] Priorities, help needed
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 14:21:12 GMT

Howdy,

>The proposal presents the following initial scope:
>
>     * Simple univariate statistics (mean, standard deviation, n,
>       confidence intervals)

Does this include just arithmetic means?  We have uses for both and
would like both.  This would imply org.apache.commons.math.Mean is an
interface / abstract / base class, with at least two implementations.

See here for more:
http://www.math.toronto.edu/mathnet/plain/questionCorner/geomean.html

Also, there are other means out there, such as Mathematica's arithmetic
geometric mean (AGM) function, outlined here:
http://functions.wolfram.com/EllipticFunctions/ArithmeticGeometricMean/0
2/0001/

I don't mean to add work: these may not be important to anyone else, and
they may not be a release-1.0 feature.  But I did want to put them out
there, get them on the radar screen.

Yoav Shapira