commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [math][patch] New RollingUnivariateImpl
Date Sat, 17 May 2003 08:48:57 GMT
On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 07:18 PM, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

<snip>

> p.s. Just a small criticism, while your free as an Apache committer to
> take what ever you want out of my patches to apply to your codebase. I
> hope I might retain some acknowledgement over the inclusion of ideas I
> may have produced or  helped to produce. Not having commit rights, I have
> no way of retaining authorship over ideas or prototyping efforts such as
> that included in my patches into Univariate/RollingUnivariate etc. I hope
> you might retain at least some comment or honorable mention for my
> efforts. :-)  thanks

IMHO

as i understand it, there are two standard (apache) ways that a developer
(rather than a committer) is entitled to be credited for their
contribution - through the CVS commit record and through @author tags.

i'm personally very liberal in adding credits to the CVS record. if a
developer helped - even if i don't actually use any of the code submitted
- then i'll add a developer credit to the end of CVS commit message.

this brings us to the vexed subject of @author tags. there was an
interesting apache-wide debate about this some time ago on community. my
current opinion is this:

1. all source files should have an author tag
2. all developers who submitted anything of substance are entitled to a
class level @author tag. developers can indicate that they want a credit
by including this in the patch.
3. committers should be content to be credited in the project documentation
4. (mavenized only) contributors are also entitled to be created in the
maven-generated documentation. again, including this in the patch
demonstrates that the developer wants sure a credit.

so, if i create a new source file, if it's submitted as a patch (or
created as the result of a patch) then i add the developer as @author
(whether the patch contains this or not) otherwise i add myself. if it's
not new, i won't add an @author unless it's included as part of the patch.
  i don't add myself as author to existing files. (the only exception i
make is controversial refactorings, at the top so that i get the abusive
emails rather than the original author.)

- robert