commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Priority
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 16:47:16 GMT
Tim O'Brien wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 11:00, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>

>>Basically what this is saying is "talk to us". ACM is suggesting
>>involvement and acknowledgment of their efforts in organizing and
>>archiving these algorithms...<snip>...Open Source
>>Apache project and the legal bindings they would want in such a
>>relationship..
>>

>-1
>
>I welcome greater participation especially from the ACM, but I also
>encourage people not to "jump the gun".  Commons-math is a sandbox
>component, nothing guarantees promotion to Commons proper.  Commons-math
>is not attempting to be a repository for all numerical algorithms - at
>least not in the current proposal.

+1 Yes I do agree that we should not focus on being a repository for all
numerical algoithms.

>The scope as defined in the proposal is very limited to encourage
>developers to submit patches focused on a small set of realistic goals.
>aimed at a real-world requirements.

IMHO, I don't consider this discussion to be "jumping the gun" or out of
scope of the issues realted to this project. My primary point is that if
your interested in using/developing code based on an algorithm published
by the ACM, that instead of looking at the license and say, nope, can't
do that. You contact the responsible parties at ACM and ask them
directly concerning if you can apply it in this case. Seems overly
"assuming" to do otherwise. Finally, I wanted to state is that there was
also a probible future of activity between ACM and Apache Math
developers considering such cases.

>I'd like to see us explore an idea of providing an interface to other
>implementations of algorithms (i.e. commons-logging), but I think that
>is something for *the future*.  Right now, we need focus, unit tests,
>pages of detailed documentation, and attention to detail.

Yes, I think that would be intersting, I suspect in the future we will
see cases wher ethis can be applied.

Cheers,
-Mark