commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [math] documentation principles
Date Sat, 17 May 2003 20:25:34 GMT
O'brien, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 04:03, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
>>i think that we'll need to start off with a html user guide and keep the
>>MathML out of the javadocs and rely on links to the user guide. i also
>>think that math would benefit from being mavenized. i'll make a start on
>>this when i have some time (unless anyone gets there before me - tim?).
>

> I generated a Maven site for math but there are no xdocs currently,
> since the group hasn't made any official decision I put it up on icarus:
> http://cvs.apache.org/~tobrien/math

FWIW, I like this. Expecially the project reports.

> I think it might be help to add some tasks to the project TODO for
> documentation, and I'd like to get some feedback in terms of how we can
> do a better job integrating this maven generated site into the Commons
> project site overall - common nav, etc.
>

>>BTW there is at least one no-cost plugin for IE for MathML.
>

> It looks like XHTML + MathML + SVG is the emerging standard for this:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/XHTMLplusMathMLplusSVG/
>

> It looks like a fair number of browsers support MathML rendering.  Here
> is an encouraging list: http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL

Encouraging indeed. WORKSFORME oob w/ Mozilla :-).

I agree with Robert, however, that at least for now, we should try to
stick with plain HTML and references to external stuff.  I think for
pretty much everything in the proposal, we can and should be able to
rely on external docs for most of the technical mathematical discussion.
Of course, I may be wrong...

For now,from the doco standpoint, I think we should focus on getting a
basic maven site up and settling on format/content/conventions for javadoc.