commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math][patch] New RollingUnivariateImpl
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 19:15:20 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:

>>I t might be useful to have a FixedDoubleArray which
>>supports the
>>rolling functionality described in your patch, but, in
>>general, these
>>objects provide usefulness outside of Univariate.
>>Essentially, I don't
>>want an implementation of Univariate to have to worry
>>about storage.
>>

>I agree.  A simple FixedDoubleArray will enable the
>"rolling" functionality to implemented simply. Computations
>can be performed using standard array-based algorithms.
>Retaining the order is good for things like trending,
>autocorellation. I also agree that this data structure will
>be useful for other things.

Hmm, yes but these capabilities should be just as possible with your
current implementations of Expandable/ContractableDoubleArray (They are
already ordered). I've started thinking of the looping feature as an
optimization strategy for improving these already exsisting and great
implementations.

-Mark