commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] documentation principles
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 19:09:54 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:

>The problem is how to get the math goodies into the xdoc.
>Maybe brings us back into a MathML discussion. I haven't
>looked into this in a while, but in the past, I have always
>preferred tex for math composition, which can be rendered
>into postcript or pdf. Looks like MathML is effectively
>obsoleting tex. There are browser plug-ins, but I doubt we
>can count on these.  This leads to the need for pdf or
>postscript -- or some engine that generates images + html
>from MathML.  It's not the pdf format that I care about,
>just the ability to produce reasonable math docs in a
>platform-independent way.

I'm not sure of IE's plans to support MathML, I know Mozilla has
excellent support for it now. While its out of the realm to expect IE to
suddenly start supporting it, you might consider a two pronged approach:

1.) MathML in the javadoc

2.) links to pdf or image verisions in javaDoc as a fallback.

This way you promote the usage of MathML while providing an optional
approach for those who do not have it yet. We could consider producing
some stylesheets and using FOP http://xml.apache.org/fop/ to process the
MathML documents  into pdf format or into the Javadoc. I've worked with
XSLT, Maven and Ant enough to know this is possible to do. I think I'd
enjoy exploring it too.

-Mark