commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject [math] Random data and lang.math.RandomUtils
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 01:49:17 GMT
I am pulling together another submission that includes the random data
generation stuff that sent us down this path and I need to decide what
to submit as patches to lang's RandomUtil's implementation and what to
include here.  Here is my current plan:

nextIntBetween(lower,upper), nextLongBetween(lower,upper),
nextGaussian(mu,sigma) go to lang.math.RandomUtils.

nextExponential(lambda), nextPoisson(lambda) and some other parametric
generators are included in a new math.DataGeneration class that exposes
all of these (using the lang implemention for uniform, Gaussian
deviates) as well as the following:

* random values generated using an empirical probability distribution
   estimated from an input file (i.e., values distributed "like" those in
   the input file)

* random values generated by randomly selecting values from a vector
   read from a file and stored in memory

* values generated by replaying the values in the input file repeatedly

Right now, I have a RandomData class that generates all of the
parametric stuff, an EmpiricalDistribution class that does density
estimation from an input file and a ValueServer that uses the two of
these to support data generation in all of the modes described above. So
what I am thinking about is combining them all into one.  The
non-parametric data generation modes are really useful in simulation,
since you can feed them with observed data.  Thoughts?

Phil