commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <ggreg...@seagullsw.com>
Subject RE: [lang] Some suggested exception additions.
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 14:35:28 GMT
I know that the .lang package choice has already gotten a "+1" but I think
names are important and I could see this batch of classes growing larger
easily in the future, so I'd like to continue this packaging discussion.

Ah, thanks, this clarifies the picture for me succinctly in one shot, so, to
paraphrase and abbreviate, the set of classes (not yet a package but could
be):

"Provides descriptive, explicit error messages".

So we are talking about formalizing common error messages into classes. Then
I could see one of:

.lang.exception.msg
   "Provides exception classes to formalize commonly used message patterns."

.lang.exception.vocab
   "Represents an exception vocabulary to formalize commonly used exception
message patterns"

This gives this group of classes a clear purpose different from any other
kind of exceptions, especially those that are tied to specific behavior
(like Serialization) or carry extra error information.

Gary