commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <stei...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] Priority
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 19:27:48 GMT

--- Tim O'Brien <tobrien@discursive.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 11:00, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> > Basically what this is saying is "talk to us". ACM is suggesting
> > involvement and acknowledgment of their efforts in organizing and
> > archiving these algorithms...<snip>...Open Source
> > Apache project and the legal bindings they would want in such a
> > relationship..
>
> -1
>
> I welcome greater participation especially from the ACM, but I also
> encourage people not to "jump the gun".  Commons-math is a sandbox
> component, nothing guarantees promotion to Commons proper.  Commons-math
> is not attempting to be a repository for all numerical algorithms - at
> least not in the current proposal.
>
> The scope as defined in the proposal is very limited to encourage
> developers to submit patches focused on a small set of realistic goals.
> aimed at a real-world requirements.
>
> I'd like to see us explore an idea of providing an interface to other
> implementations of algorithms (i.e. commons-logging), but I think that
> is something for *the future*.  Right now, we need focus, unit tests,
> pages of detailed documentation, and attention to detail.

I agree.  I at least plan to keep plugging away providing simple standard-
algorithm implementations for stuff on the task list and filling out the docs
and unit tests.  While things like rootfinding for non-differentiable functions
may eventually have a place and may benefit from algorithms that someone can
claim copyright ownership of, if no one else does it before I get to it, I will
translate my simple newton's method implementation (which is trivial) and
submit it. I would appreciate input on what a nice Java interface would look
like for rootfinding, initally assuming that the function has a derivative, but
ideally extensible to support strategies that do not require differentiability.

Phil