commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [math][patch] Lets try this again, here's a new patch for Rolling
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 10:08:03 GMT
On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 05:34 AM, Mohan Kishore wrote:

> Not that I know sqat about this level of mathematics, but I would strongly
> recommend detailed JavaDoc of the algorithm, OR, a link to
> whitepaper/article
> online which details the same. Failing which, I fear, the use/future
> development/debugging will surely suffer...

+1

i think that this will need doing before math could be released and it's
probably easier to start as we mean to go on. it'll be easier to insist
that future developers document their code properly (which is important
since it'll be very difficult for committers to verify or debug algorithms
without a precise definition of what they are supposed to do) if we all do
this from the start. it'll also help avoid any possible problems with
international differences in technical terminology.

i'd say that the interfaces are probably the right place to document the
mathematical operation being offered whereas the implementation should
detail the aims of the implementation (eg memory footprint verses speed,
small data sets verses large data sets, simple verses complex).

maybe we could come up with a standard format for the class comments.

- robert