commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim O'Brien <tobr...@discursive.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] sandbox karma for "Howard M. Lewis Ship" hlship@apache.org
Date Thu, 29 May 2003 21:59:16 GMT
+1, but I'm not really sure if this is a binding vote.  Assume, I'm
voting as Commons committer *only*.

I'm a little confused, my understanding of the current system is: Any
Jakarta Committer can simply ask for karma to the sandbox.  Someone like
Craig usually just makes the appropriate changes to the avail file (or
so I assume), and the deal is done.

So, Tapestry just navigated the Incubator, and is now a part of
Jakarta.  Howard is a Jakarta committer, and all he has to do is ask.
That's straightforward, no PMC vote, no Commons Committer vote needed.
I believe that someone just needs to give him karma - that would be in
line with past practices.

The confusing part comes in when someone who is not a Jakarta Committer
wants access to the commons-sandbox.  I think people just wanted
non-Jakarta committers to have the approval of the Jakarta PMC before
being granted karma.  I'm not batting for that "side" per se, but the
PMC maintains an oversight role for new committers (i.e. requests for
new accounts come from the PMC) - the "opposition" in this case just
wants the PMC to have some oversight when a non-Jakarta committer
requests access.  Does that make any sense?

In Howard's case, he's a Tapestry committer - I don't see the need for a
vote.

(which includes a lot of Ant, DB, James, Maven committers