commons-dev mailing list archives

From tobr...@transolutions.net (O'brien, Tim)
Subject Re: [math] documentation principles
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 18:13:00 GMT
On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 13:00, Phil Steitz wrote:
> --- robert burrell donkin
> <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 10:34 PM, Phil Steitz
> We can look into this as we get further along.  For
> now, I assume it is OK to add links to external
> sources as appropriate in the javadoc.

Not to sound like a Maven partisan, but linkcheck is integrated as a
Maven report, http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/codec/linkcheck.html.  I
think it is fine to add references to external documentation as long as
we make sure that our links are working - i.e. make getting linkcheck
down to zero errors a condition for a release.

( Question, so why doesn't codec have a zero length linkcheck?  I plead
guilty. )

> Here again, something to think about as we get further
> along. One last point before letting this drop (for
> now).  Mathematical documentation in HTML is painful,
> trying to embed it in javadoc is cruel and unusual
> punishment. This is another reason to externalize the
> user's guide.  The eventual user's guide will need to
> include images and/or possibly be distributed as pdf,
> tex, or postcript.  Probably should not have just
> opened up that can of worms...Something to think about
> down the road.

I remember that Forrest has a nice little feature of converting your
xdoc to PDF - click on the PDF link on http://xml.apache.org.  Although
it seems a little twisted, we could use Maven for site generation, and
Forrest for documentation - unless I'm missing some Maven plugin that
generates PDF output.