commons-dev mailing list archives

From tobr...@transolutions.net (O'brien, Tim)
Subject Re: [math] exceptions or NaN from Univariate
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 14:53:34 GMT
On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 09:04, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> So, from what I can see, if the window isn't infinite, some storage
> needs to occur. (But again, I could easily be missing something really
> obvious here).

there is no way to remove the influence of element[window+1] without
knowing what that element is.

I think there might be a need for two Univariate implementations.  The
current implementation would remain and not store raw values, and the
second implementation would store a configurable number of values in a
(optionally finite) FIFO.  In other words, the "StoredUnivariate" would
have a no-arg constructor which would take into account every element,
as well as a constructor with an int argument for the implementation of
this Univariate "window".  Remembering raw values would allow us to use
Freq internally to calculate the mode of a statistical population.

Tim