commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher Willingham" <comms...@maine.rr.com>
Subject validator & inheritance
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 12:35:45 GMT
Are there are any wishes, hopes, or considerations for modifying the
Validator by adding an extends attribute for inheritance, similar to how
tiles extends tile definitions?  I use the validator quite a bit; for
EJB business logic edits, daemon feed edits, standalone edits, & also of
course struts.  Many of the core edit definitions for a particular
entity type are the same with some variations.  In fact, within our
webapp alone we run into situations where an edit suite for a form is
nearly the same as another yet has a slight twist or difference, thus
causing a repeat of many edit configurations under a different bean
name.  Or perhaps there is something like that already built in(wishful
thinking?).

If no work has been done in this area, I may consider adding such a
feature if the community here also sees its advantage.  And would be
willing to consider it for a future release.  If I get positive
feedback, perhaps one of the original builders could point me in the
right direction for approaching this task.  It doesn't seem like it
would be extremely difficult.

Please share your views!

Chris Willigham