commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank Lawlor" <flaw...@athensgroup.com>
Subject Re: Production use of Connection Pooling
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 18:16:37 GMT
Jason Lea stated:

*       If you have a bad connection and you think it shouldn't be
reused you can call pool.invalidateObject(Object). This also decrements
the active count.

Thnaks for the info Jason.  I'll note this in the paper.

However, a couple of points.

1)    The connection-using code only has the connection, not the pool,
reference.  This means adding code for mapping the connection to the
pool and if the application has more than one pool this gets a bit more
complex.  This is information which the pooling code has and already
uses on a normal close().  It would be better if the pooling code
provided some form of connection.invalidateObject() which does the
mapping.

2)    You also state that the pooling code does a reallyColse() when you
return a connection, which I don't believe is true.

Thanks again for the good comments,

  -- Frank