commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Query: Hosting Avalon Components
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:22:12 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> It is my understanding that Jakarta Commons won't host Avalon components
> because they are not general purpose code.  IOW, using them outside the
> context of an Avalon container doesn't really make sense.
>
> I want to confirm if my understanding is correct.  If not, under what
> circumstances would that be viable.  A developer on that list thinks
> that the general attitude for hosting Avalon components vs. utility
> code has changed for this project.
>
> Is there any truth to that?

I don't see the point of hosting code that won't run without Avalon in
jakarta-commons.

Avalon now has it's own top level project and can easily create a repository
for avalon components.

I wouldn't have a problem with having some avalon-specific wrappers for some
components, as long as they are optional and you could build and use that
component without avalon.

We do have components that depend on extrenal code - commons-logging depends
on log4j and logkit and jdk1.4 logging, modeler depends on JMX and has some
ant tasks.

I assume that will remain as it was - i.e. case by case. But if a component
can't be used outside Avalon - expect at least my vote to not be positive.

Costin