commons-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Query: Hosting Avalon Components
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:58:27 GMT
Ryan Hoegg wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> That is what we are trying to evaluate.  We would prefer to have utility
>> code here, but I think it would make more sence for Avalon components
>> to live in the Avalon world.
>>
>>> If there are Jakarta projects out there who want to share Avalon
>>> components, I don't see why they can't be in Jakarta Commons.
>>

>> There is Jakarta JAMES, potentially FOP, and (non Jakarta) Cocoon.
>>
>> I'm just looking for an official path.
>

> I think several parts of Turbine (or maybe all of it) are Avalon based.
> Maven will soon be Avalon based as well, using Plexus.  I think there
> seems to be a case for an Avalon Commons, but isn't Excalibur supposed
> to be something like that already?  Also, isn't there some ability to
> break out common functionality into a Jakarta Commons component with an
> Avalon Component wrapper?  Jason Van Zyl did something similar already
> with the Apache XML-RPC library and his Plexus XML-RPC service.

That was the spirit behind Excalibur.  We will have to rename the
repository before opening up the commit privs.

As to breaking out common functionality, yes and no.  It is alot of
work to undo some assumptions that the existing components have,
and then develop something that works both ways.

It is looking like from a practical perspective that Avalon has a
Components (more specific than commons) than it is to fit the
Avalon components into the Jakarta Commons way.

I am also trying to avoid a mass of package name changes and all
that is associated with the change.