commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] distribute the compiled .jar binaries as part of the /dist
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:43:02 GMT
Mohan Kishore wrote:

> Is this site relevant to the discussion:
> http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/

No. That is yet another repository for .jars. We can support it -
but that would be a different proposal.

This URL is relevant to the discussion:
  http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html

This proposal is about distributing our own .jars in the normal
release dirs - just like we distribute other binaries. Various
repositories can redistribute the jars, but we make the official
releases - on www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons, and right
now the official releases don't include .jar binaries.

BTW - I was going to ask the PMC about the issue mentioned by Martin.
However I realized it just doesn't make sense - this is ASF software
( i.e. our own jars ) that we distribute. This is not the same
thing as ibiblio or some other repository redistributing our jars - and is
not the same as us redistributing other people's jars.
It's unlikely ASF will be sued by ASF for distributing ASF jars :-)

Costin