commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject [VOTE] distribute the compiled .jar binaries as part of the /dist
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 16:59:25 GMT
The layout of the www.apache.org/dist is defined at:

   http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html

This includes a "binaries/" directory, where product binaries can be
distributed.

We currently distribute precompiled  .tar.gz and .zip.

This proposal is to add .jar binaries to the distribution.

Please vote:

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -0
[ ] -1

I think this is a majority vote ( so no requirement to give valid reason
if -1 ).

The .jars will be used the same as the .tar.gz or .zip - if someone
wants only the .jar ( for whatever reasons ) they should be able to get
an official version from apache or its mirrors.
In addition, the locatin can be used in manifests - as you know the
standard manifest allows someone to specify declarative dependencies,
and that includes a
 <extension>-Implementation-URL:
header. The value of this header should point to the release .jar.

Note: The mirrors.html defines the naming of the released files, as well
as symbolic links. I would like to propose that in addition to the required
-current symlink we should also create a symlink with the normal name.

Ex:
  /www/www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/logging/
          commons-logging-current.jar -> binaries/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
          commons-logging.jar -> binaries/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar

  /www/www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/logging/binaries
          commons-logging-1.0.3.jar

Costin