commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [COLLECTIONS] Some more lobbying for the OrderedSet class
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:58:17 GMT

Feel free to go ahead. While I'd love to try and make Collections
feel simpler to me [and hopefully everyone else?], Lang and Taglibs are
both taking priority for me at the moment.

Just as long as the implementation of OrderedSet and UniqueList, or just
ListSet if the interfaces may be combined, does not force the usage of a
particular underlying implementation, then I'm +1 :)

Does it make sense to have a ListSet that implements both interfaces? A
join as such. Set as an interface is a superclass API-wise of List [or
could be]. The only difference is that Set has a contract of uniqueness.

My head is hurting from humidity [why oh why did I move to the US Deep
South], but it seems that:

UniqueList extends ProxyList implements Set

makes a lot of sense here?

If I have an ordered-set, is there any reason why I would not want the
extra methods from the List API? The only reason I can think of is that I
might not want to deal with the extra coding.

Oh, one other reason comes from wrappability. UniqueList makes it obvious
that it is going to wrap a List and just implement some contractual checks
to stop checking things in. How would a UniqueList wrap a Set? Or
OrderedSet if we want to call it that while considering it in Set context.
Assuming you've implemented it similar to how I implemented my own
OrderedSet, as an ArrayList that pretends to be a Set, I think that
OrderedSet is the wrong name and UniqueList is better.

Another question that has probably been asked, is why don't we just have a
method on CollectionUtils which returns a PredicateList with a
UniquePredicate that is called:   createUniqueList/createOrderedSet?

I guess I'm still trying to boil the Jakarta Collections API down to a
series of basic tenets.

Sorry for babbling,

Hen