commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject RE: [digester] RegexRules
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 21:00:53 GMT

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, David Graham wrote:

> >I'd be in favour of a basic API :) Am happy to help work on it. I doubt
> >that Jakarta will be moving to 1.4-only for a long time to come.In fact, I
> >doubt that there will be that many 1.4-only libraries out there, not until
> >we get Java 3 and we all migrate to 1.7 [made up] in the same way we all
>
> If a Jakarta project doesn't want to depend on Java 1.4 then it can choose
> one of the other regex packages.  I don't see a need to wrap a layer around
> regular expression implementations where speed is of great importance.

As a user of 1.4 and Commons Collections, I'll be most irritated to have
to go grab ORO when I have a working Regexp engine in my JDK. As a user of
1.2 and Commons Collections, I'll be most irritated to not be able to use
the latest Collections version because it depends on 1.4. Etc etc.

> >How is Regexp different from Logging?
>
> As I understand it, Log4J was not considered by Sun for logging.  This
> angered Log4J developers and fans and Apache ultimately voted against the
> logging JCP.  So, now we have commons-logging to support Log4J and JDK 1.4
> logging.  Also, logging is not speed sensitive like regular expressions.

Partly. [all my view, but] A quick history is that the first draft of the
logging api mainly grew from the IBM Log library and as Log4j was arguably
more popular the log4j community was not impressed. Log4j concepts were
later merged in with the IBM concepts making JDK Log at least somewhat a
blend of ideas. However, as a standard, chances are JDK Log is weaker than
Log4j, especially as it is now tied to the slow-moving JDK releases.

I think it also has a concept of a provider, so Log4j may become a JDK Log
provider with extra power provided through the config file or something.
I'm guessing a lot here based on memory of conversations.

I think I'd disagree that Logging is not speed-sensitive. It's usually one
of the biggest deals, that logging when turned off does not hurt speed.
I'm probably reading your statement wrong.

Personally I think Sun should have done a collections.jar, releasing
sun-log.jar and sun-regexp.jar for use in 1.2 and 1.3.

Hen