commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject RE: [digester] RegexRules
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 20:29:56 GMT

This has come up on the mail list before I believe. First I've heard that
reckoned JDK regex to be a golden boy though :)

GNU Regexp tends to get a lot of stick now for terrible speed. Nicest part
of JDK regex is the integration with java.lang.String and other parts.

I believe that ORO-Regexp has an abstraction layer concept in the design
or implementation somehow. I think Daniel Savarese has mentioned this in
the past, but I'm not sure what the ease of it is. It probably ought to be
extracted from ORO if it is there something that can be used without ORO.

[more below]...

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, David Graham wrote:

> I would hate to approve such a thing :-).  Reports I've read indicate that

I'd be in favour of a basic API :) Am happy to help work on it. I doubt
that Jakarta will be moving to 1.4-only for a long time to come.In fact, I
doubt that there will be that many 1.4-only libraries out there, not until
we get Java 3 and we all migrate to 1.7 [made up] in the same way we all
migrated to 1.2 at Java 2.

> the JDK 1.4 regex engine is faster than or equal to the Jakarta versions.
> The authors also thought the JDK regex API was easier to use.  Plus the 1.4
> regex's are *standard* Java.  IMO, people should be migrating to the 1.4
> regex engine, not wrapping custom Jakarta code.

How is Regexp different from Logging?

How many years will we have to wait for Sun to support Perl 6 syntax?
[which I think is a touch different from Perl 5, but I'm just using it as
a made up example].

Hen