commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject RE: [collections] XxxUtils inner classes
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 20:19:45 GMT

Biggest pain for me was discovering a large codebase with a lot of
unfamiliar package names that were all .* imported. Made it quite hard to
have a clue what things were.

There is the clash example as well of course. java.util.Data/java.sql.Date
and others.

The usual argument against being anti .* is that IDE's can be used to
figure out where a package lies, but that argument is quite poor as the
IDE can also be creating nice import statements.

The other argument is that the imports use up lots of space. IDEs can wrap
up the imports into one line. More of a pain for text-editor users.

Hen