commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Adding public domain code to jakarta-commons
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:22:23 GMT
Hi,

I would have thought that it would be prudent to be able to *prove* that the code is really
in the public domain by obtaining a statement from its originator.

Whilst it is perfectly reasonable for JADE to declare that code is "in the public domain"
it is not (IMO) equally reasonable that we should accept this statement as a fact, particularly
where it relates to code imported into our CVS.
It may be the case that the code originated outwith their project (via the cut'n'paste methodology)
and that although they believe that it is public domain it is in fact licenced and owned by
some other OS project, as I'm sure must also be the case with Apache code in certain quarters.

It would be my cautious view that we need to confirm the fact that JADE are correct in their
assertion.

d.

disclaimer, this is just my opinion, it doesn't represent the opinion of anyone who actually
knows anything about IPR law.