commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Horman" <ja...@jhorman.org>
Subject RE: [functor] generators
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 05:19:22 GMT
Generators were added to python in version 2.2

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-pycon.html

Ruby was built with generators in mind.

Simple Python generator:

def gen():
    for x in range(1, 10)
        yield x

for num in gen():
	print num;

My generator has a very simple interface. Basically:

public abstract class Generator {
    public abstract void run(UnaryProcedure proc);
    public void stop();
    public boolean isStopped();
}

Generators run, and call proc for each item generated. The run method should
check isStopped on each internal iteration. Python's approach to stopping
iteration is to throw a StopIteration exception. That may be fine practice
in Python but is looked down upon in Java, though I think it is a more
flexible approach in many ways.

I will send you the source to generators directly.

-jason