commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/betwixt/src/java/org/apache/commons/betwixt/expression
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:59:31 GMT
hi james

On Thursday, March 20, 2003, at 07:29 PM, wrote:

> jstrachan    2003/03/20 11:29:07
>   Modified:    betwixt/src/java/org/apache/commons/betwixt/io
>   Added:       betwixt/src/test/org/apache/commons/betwixt/derived
>                person-list.xml
>                betwixt/src/java/org/apache/commons/betwixt/expression
>   Log:
>   Added provisional support to allow bean types to be customized by the
> presence of a 'className' attribute.
>   Its fairly simple and only works for parsing of beans right now. We
> need to add this customization feature to the ElementDescriptors so that
> this can be enabled as required and
>   then used to auto-default an AttributeDescriptor with a
> ClassNameExpression so that the output of the bean will also convey the
> className attribute again.
>   Also the attribute used to describe the class name should be
> configurable.

just so i'm clear, this means that an attribute of the xml being parsed is
used to specify the class to be constructed, right?

so what we'd need to do to make it configurable is to add another
attribute to the .betwixt file that allows the attribute to use to be

>   Maybe we should default it to 'class' since its rare to ever get a bean
> with a 'class' setter property?

i think that sounds pretty reasonable.

>   +
>   +                /**
>   +                 * @todo this is a duplicate of the code in
> BeanCreateRule
>   +                 * we should try refactor to some common place
>   +                 */
>                    if ( matchIDs ) {
>                        String idref = attributes.getValue( "idref" );
>                        if ( idref != null ) {

this code is almost identical since i deprecated BeanCreateRule in favour
of this new class. BeanRuleSet is a replacement which is more digester
friendly. it has been carefully structured so that you can safely add a
BeanRuleSet for a bean and then more digester rules for other bits and

BTW i've been adding new fixtures and bug fixes to the list at the bottom
of xdocs/tasks.xml

- robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: