commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Clint David Myers" <Clint.My...@Geac.com>
Subject Struts Validator, Help!!!
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:52:03 GMT
I have a question...

Is it possible for the Struts validator to perform only a subset of the defined validations
with the "validation.xml" file?

Here is a scenerio.
Lets say I have a page that has 15 fields.
A design requirement comes along for a WAP implementation. In that requirement I will split
the original screen into 3 screens, each with five fields. All three screens obviously share
the same
form object.

I want to reuse the original save action that the original screen used. I can chain all three
pages together, so
that the first two screens have a "next" button, while the last has the "save" button. The
two "next" buttons
simply utilize a generic success based action. No real logic is performed, but this allows
me to collect
my data into the commonly shared form. Finally on the last screen I can invoke the standard
"save" action
with no changes.

The problem is that now the validations need to fall across multiple pages instead of just
one page. How
can I accomplish this. I know I can allow all of the validations to occur or none at all,
but how can I perform
these 5 then another 5, then the last 5 with the Struts validator.

Look forward to your reply :)