commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester] 1.5 Release Plan
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:52:34 GMT

On Thursday, April 24, 2003, at 02:25 PM, James Strachan wrote:

> On Thursday, April 24, 2003, at 10:42  am, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
>> the digester 1.4.1 release is not fully backwards compatible with
>> digester 1.3. in to rectify this, i propose to release a 1.5 version
>> containing fixes for the reported issues together with the other
>> improvements made to digester since the last release. i will act as
>> release manager.
>>
>> in terms of work that needs to be done, i will create release notes in
>> the usual way and perform the other usual tasks.
>>
>> since this is a release aimed at fixing a backwards compatibility issue,
>>  i don't think that it's appropriate to consider adding new features
>> before this release.
>>
>> the bug reports for digester (see below) are all old issues. i'd be
>> happy to ship this release without any further action on these items.
>>
>> your comments please :)
>
> Any chance of adding 2 protected callback methods into Digester as a hook
> for handling non-matched rules? Its technically speaking new
> functionality but is a fairly simple, backwards compatible change? (Am
> happy to do the work).

hi james

i'd much prefer to cut this release without the extra callback methods in.

since this release addresses a backwards compatibility issue, i'm keen to
ship it ASAP (so that users have a backwards compatible release available)
  but i'd also like to make sure that we get the signatures for those extra
methods right - and so i'd prefer to allow a few weeks grace once this
stuff is in before shipping a release containing it. that way, we've got a
chance to pick up any problems before we're committed to supporting them.

i'd be glad to cut another release quickly as soon as there is consensus
that the callback stuff is stable.

i'd also be happy to create a release branch now if you want to get on
with the callback stuff on CVS HEAD.

- robert