commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From James Strachan <>
Subject Re: [digester] 1.5 Release Plan
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:25:27 GMT

On Thursday, April 24, 2003, at 04:52  pm, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On Thursday, April 24, 2003, at 02:25 PM, James Strachan wrote:
>> On Thursday, April 24, 2003, at 10:42  am, robert burrell donkin 
>> wrote:
>>> the digester 1.4.1 release is not fully backwards compatible with 
>>> digester 1.3. in to rectify this, i propose to release a 1.5 version 
>>> containing fixes for the reported issues together with the other 
>>> improvements made to digester since the last release. i will act as 
>>> release manager.
>>> in terms of work that needs to be done, i will create release notes 
>>> in the usual way and perform the other usual tasks.
>>> since this is a release aimed at fixing a backwards compatibility 
>>> issue,
>>>  i don't think that it's appropriate to consider adding new features 
>>> before this release.
>>> the bug reports for digester (see below) are all old issues. i'd be 
>>> happy to ship this release without any further action on these >>> items.
>>> your comments please :)
>> Any chance of adding 2 protected callback methods into Digester as a 
>> hook for handling non-matched rules? Its technically speaking new 
>> functionality but is a fairly simple, backwards compatible change? 
>> (Am happy to do the work).
> hi james
> i'd much prefer to cut this release without the extra callback methods 
> in.
> since this release addresses a backwards compatibility issue, i'm keen 
> to ship it ASAP (so that users have a backwards compatible release 
> available)
>  but i'd also like to make sure that we get the signatures for those 
> extra methods right - and so i'd prefer to allow a few weeks grace 
> once this stuff is in before shipping a release containing it. that 
> way, we've got a chance to pick up any problems before we're committed 
> to supporting them.
> i'd be glad to cut another release quickly as soon as there is 
> consensus that the callback stuff is stable.

Sounds fine with me.

> i'd also be happy to create a release branch now if you want to get on 
> with the callback stuff on CVS HEAD.

No worries. I'll wait for the 1.5 release to go out then I'll dive into 
CVS HEAD... (James tries to avoid branches at all costs :-)


To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message