commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <>
Subject RE: [Pool] What's left for a release?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:44:14 GMT

I'll jump in as a simple user of this code but having faced this problem
numerous times as a contributor on several jakarta and for-profit

>(1) Which exact one field in GenericObjectPool would we need to change
>protected access to address our current problem? We could make this one
>field protected in 2.0. We could then create our own subclass and
>behavior we need. You would end up with GenericObjectPool that has one
>protected and all others private, which is oddly inconsistent and needs

I don't think it's oddly inconsistent.  In fact, I think it's consistent
with the practice of making everything private until an overriding
requirement comes up.  However, I agree with you this approach is

>Well, we would like to be implementing our own pool to customize
>in GenericObjectPool, but we cannot. Hence the request to simply make
>fields and methods that are now private protected. This would allow
>subclassing to work, always. Why not solve this problem once?

I agree this would be a better long-term solution conceptually.  Two
points though:
- Not all private fields should automatically be made protected.  Only
those fields likely to be modified by a subclass need be made protected.

- There's a conflicting requirement here, which is a speedy release to
satisfy struts dependencies.

Given the speedy release requirement, I would tend to say keep it as
stable as possible, and make the private->protected transition one of
the top items for the next release.  Of course that's easy for me to say
as I don't need the modifications right now.  However, I would
anticipate a fairly quick (< 4 weeks) Pool 2.1 release with mainly these

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: