commons-dev mailing list archives

From EP...@upstate.com
Subject RE: [betwixt] Strategies for roundtripping Date objects
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:42:37 GMT
Okay, I now understand..  The requirement is for BeanUtils's ConvertUtils to
now be able to look up a java.util.Date converter, similar to it's existing
java.sql.Timestamp converters.  There seems to be another thread about this
being added.

Presumably, when it is added, Betwixt will just pick it up?

Also, therotecially, it looks like I can register my own converter with
ConvertUtils that would work?

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Pugh, Eric
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 3:09 PM
To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List'
Subject: RE: [betwixt] Strategies for roundtripping Date objects

Robert,

I went into the source to try and submit a testcase, and it seems like my
problem has been solved..  The testcase TestBeanReader uses java.sql.date
and java.sql.timestamp classes, and seems to read them in easily.

However, I added another property:

  /**
   * Sets the java.util.Date object.
   * @param javaUtilDate The javaUtilDate to set
   */
  public void setJavaUtilDate(java.util.Date javaUtilDate) {
    this.javaUtilDate = javaUtilDate;
  }

  /**
   * Returns the javaUtilDate.
   * @return java.util.Date
   */
  public java.util.Date getJavaUtilDate() {
    return javaUtilDate;
  }

and I get (which I expected):

------------- Standard Error -----------------
[WARN] MethodUpdater - -Cannot evaluate method: setJavaUtilDate on bean:
[org.apache.commons.betwixt.CustomerBean: ID=null, name=James,
address=[org.apache.commons.betwixt.AddressBean: street=null, city=null,
country=null]] of type: org.apache.commons.betwixt.CustomerBean with value:
Thu Apr 10 14:55:44 EDT 2003 of type: java.lang.String
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: argument type mismatch
	at
org.apache.commons.betwixt.expression.MethodUpdater.update(MethodUpdater.jav
a:141)

Now, how do the java.sql.* types convert?  There doesn't seem to be any
.betwixt or other funky magic!

Thanks,

Eric Pugh