commons-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Leland <rlel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Recent change to FileUpload's DefaultFileItem
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:13:48 GMT
Martin Cooper wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:
>

>>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/fileupload/src/java/org/apache
>>/commons/fileupload/DefaultFileItem.java.diff?r1=1.16&r2=1.17&diff_format=h
>>
>>Tapestry uses the DefaultFileItem.getStoreLocation() method, which has been
>>removed.
>

> That method was not removed - it is still there, with the same signature -
> so there must be something else that's causing a breakage.

It was removed from the FileItem. We normally transfer 100MB to 500 MB
files. Making copies of files that already exist on a disk is slow and
can add more than a minute to the transfer time which was only 4 minutes
to start with. The getStoreLocation() allowed a fast rename() to take place.

Previously we depended on if getStoreLocation() returned a null then we
had to do stream copy for the smaller files. We were also running with a
modified version of Struts to expose the getStoreLocation() to the
application. I had planned to make this small change in Struts 1.2 but
now this won't work. From a standard Struts distribution, there needs to
be a way to access the File or path to a file, from the Struts upload
wrappers.

-Rob