commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Dougherty <r...@rd.gen.nz>
Subject Re: [collections] Refactoring decorators
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:20:59 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Following a recent thread
> http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg19523.html
> I have been thinking about how to best structure the decorators in
> [collections].
>
> [snip]
>
> Looking at it and the continuing RFEs, some kind of change is needed, and
> soon. Any objections?

This sounds like a good idea to me.

Exposing a bigger public API makes it easier for those of us outside
Apache who want to write collections. I sometimes need to patch
Collections to reuse all those handy (but private) classes. However, I
can certainly sympathise with the increased maintenance and
responsibility that a bigger API that. This is probably why Sun doesn't
let us get at the handy (but private) collection classes lying idle in
java.util.

Just one suggestion... perhaps decorate() might be a better name for the
static method. My rationale is that the methods do not necessarily
create a new object. Not a biggie, of course.

Rich