commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoegg <rho...@isisnetworks.net>
Subject Re: Query: Hosting Avalon Components
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:49:58 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

>> I can see that it doesn't make any sense to host an Avalon component in
>> Jakarta Commons if it's only useful in an Avalon container, unless there
>> are lots of Jakarta Projects out there which are customers of the Avalon
>> project. Then it makes some sense, though it could also be Avalon
>> Commons
>> [or better name] as a subproject of Avalon?
>
> That is what we are trying to evaluate.  We would prefer to have utility
> code here, but I think it would make more sence for Avalon components
> to live in the Avalon world.
>
>> If there are Jakarta projects out there who want to share Avalon
>> components, I don't see why they can't be in Jakarta Commons.
>
> There is Jakarta JAMES, potentially FOP, and (non Jakarta) Cocoon.
>
> I'm just looking for an official path.

I think several parts of Turbine (or maybe all of it) are Avalon based.
 Maven will soon be Avalon based as well, using Plexus.  I think there
seems to be a case for an Avalon Commons, but isn't Excalibur supposed
to be something like that already?  Also, isn't there some ability to
break out common functionality into a Jakarta Commons component with an
Avalon Component wrapper?  Jason Van Zyl did something similar already
with the Apache XML-RPC library and his Plexus XML-RPC service.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks