commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <ggreg...@seagullsw.com>
Subject RE: [codec] promote from sandbox - RE: commons codec and Base64
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 22:38:42 GMT
In this particular case, why not release a "clean" commons-codec-1.0.jar
without the deprecated classes and a sandbox compatible
commons-codec-1.0-deprecated.jar (better name needed)? Isn't there a
precedent for this in other Jakarta projects?

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: tobrien@transolutions.net [mailto:tobrien@transolutions.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 1:45 PM
To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List'
Subject: RE: [codec] promote from sandbox - RE: commons codec and Base64

This is true, but not having a release doesn't mean that the project isn't
in use somewhere.  Check out the GUMP xref for commons-codec:
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/xref.html.  If you break codec, you
cause cascading failures in turbine-3 and scarab.

Jon has voiced concern over backwards compatibility in the past, and in this
case I think leaving the old Base64 implementation in the next release is a
small matter.  The class is deprecated and it will be removed in the
subsequent release.

I don't think it is a good policy to require backwards compatibility for
sandbox components, but I think we have a special case here since codec has
been in use for a sustained period of time.

I do agree that it shouldn't be the norm.