commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee / Purple Technology <g...@stinky.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Entity Escaping (HTML/XML)
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:52:49 GMT
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 01:31:10AM -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Alex Chaffee / Purple Technology wrote:
>
> > My question was really between
> > 	String x = StringEscapeUtils.escapeHtml32(str);
> > and
> > 	String x = StringEscapeUtils.escapeHtml(str, Entities.HTML32);
>
> How about StringEscapeUtils.escape(str, Entities.HTML32)  ??

That's so crazy, it just might work!!

> The Html in the method name is redundant above and you can force people to
> have to think about what kind of thing they're escaping. It then gives
> rise to a future pluggable component.

A future component that *already exists*!  I love it when on-the-fly
refactoring leads to emergent design that's better than the one you
(I) would have come up with on your (my) own.

--
Alex Chaffee                               mailto:alex@jguru.com
Purple Technology - Code and Consulting    http://www.purpletech.com/