commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee / Purple Technology <g...@stinky.com>
Subject Re: import * vs explicit debate
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 17:35:37 GMT
> > My main complaint with explicit imports is that is
> > cripples a *very*
> > handy IDE feature (auto-complete).
>
> I don't have IDEA, so that may be the case with that
> tool.  Explicit imports do not cripple Eclipse
> however.  Autocomplete operates on any class in the
> classpath, regardless of whether or not is has been
> imported yet.

Ah!  I just did some digging and it turns out IDEA does indeed allow
that!  If you type control-alt-space it will search the entire
classpath.  control-space searches just the current file's imports.

(I'm glad IDEA separates this out; when using Eclipse I'm often
overwhelmed by its auto-complete choices, not to mention by the time
it takes it to build the list. I'm especially irritated that Eclipse
is case-insensitive here -- when I'm typing a symbol name I usually
know the difference between foo and Foo and if there's only one
completion with the case I typed, I'd like Eclipse to just run with
that one.)

Like I said, this is a preference for me, not a religion, and I'm
perfectly happy to abide by the guidelines.  I read over the Turbine
coding standards and they seem profoundly reasonable to me.

 - A

--
Alex Chaffee                               mailto:alex@jguru.com
Purple Technology - Code and Consulting    http://www.purpletech.com/