commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [collections] XxxUtils inner classes
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 21:37:46 GMT

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, David Graham wrote:

> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 13:15:03 -0700
> From: David Graham <dgraham1980@hotmail.com>
> To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RE: [collections] XxxUtils inner classes
>
> >Import .* is annoying and all the jakarta projects should have import
> >cleanups as part of their build.xml IMHO.
>
> Out of curiosity, why is importing .* annoying?

I think it's "dangerous" and "fragile" more than "annoying".  It's
possible that a new class will get added to your package, or the one you
are importing, which will result in broken compiles of previously working
code.  It also obfuscates where classes you use are actually defined,
which makes reading code harder than it should be.

> David

Craig