commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] distribute the compiled .jar binaries as part of the /dist
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2003 02:13:42 GMT
On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 18:47, Martin Cooper wrote:

> I believe this issue was raised with respect to Maven repositories, such as
> the one at ibiblio, but has not yet been clearly resolved.

It has. There is a license/ directory for each product in the
repository. Dion went to great lengths to audit every last package on
ibiblio and there are licenses are present there. A license file is also
required for a maven project so if was deemed necessary can start
packaging up the lics in the generated JARs with one small change to the
Maven JAR plugin.

> I would not want
> to see us make such a change in Commons until we know the official ASF
> position. (If the issue has been resolved, and I missed the resolution, feel
> free to give me a pointer.)
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

> > The .jars will be used the same as the .tar.gz or .zip - if someone
> > wants only the .jar ( for whatever reasons ) they should be able to get
> > an official version from apache or its mirrors.
> > In addition, the locatin can be used in manifests - as you know the
> > standard manifest allows someone to specify declarative dependencies,
> > and that includes a
> >  <extension>-Implementation-URL:
> > header. The value of this header should point to the release .jar.
> >
> > Note: The mirrors.html defines the naming of the released files, as well
> > as symbolic links. I would like to propose that in addition to the
> required
> > -current symlink we should also create a symlink with the normal name.
> >

> > Ex:
> >   /www/www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/logging/
> >           commons-logging-current.jar ->
> binaries/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
> >           commons-logging.jar -> binaries/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
> >

> >   /www/www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/logging/binaries
> >           commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
> >

> > Costin

jvz.