commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [betwixt] BeanReader - setXXX(Object)
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:55:16 GMT
hi Brian

the way i see it is that betwixt handles only beans and primitives at the
moment. there are other stuff which aren't primitives and which aren't
beans but which are commonly going to be present when you deal with beans.
  for example, java.util.Date's.

i think that the most common use case is that these will be mapped to
CDATA. for example, a Date <-> <value>20011104</value>. so what's needed

is customizable string <-> object conversion. BeanUtils already has a nice
solution for this kind of thing and i'd probably want to leverage this to
allow customization of the mapping for particular types (rather than what
you were proposing).

i don't think that it'll be too difficult to implement but you're right
that the dev list is the best place to discuss matters like this.
hopefully you're join us there.

- robert