commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: Query: Hosting Avalon Components
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:25:43 GMT
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
> >From a "marketing" perspective :-), if I were an Avalon developer I'd
want
> to draw people to the Avalon website, and a library of already-developed
> reusable Avalon-based components would seem to be a pretty useful
> attractor.  I wouldn't want to send people elsewhere.

I agree with Craig here. Draw people into the Avalon site, and have an
Avalon-commons for reusable parts.

> PS:  An Avalon component wrapper around the functionality of an existing
> Commons package would seem perfectly reasonable to stick into that Commons
> package's sources -- in the same way that one might include, say, an Ant
> custom task to invoke it if you're using Ant.

Actually I think this idetifies the key difference with Avalon. Ant is a de
facto standard. Avalon is not. IMHO, jakarta-commons can and should host Ant
wrappers if required, but not Avalon ones.

My view follows a layered approach:
- Application
- App framework (Avalon/EJB)
- Utilities (jakarta-commons)
- Tools (Ant, Eclipse)
- Java

Thus it is a higher level's responsibility to host wrappers for lower level
ones.

Stephen