commons-dev mailing list archives

From tobr...@transolutions.net (O'brien, Tim)
Subject [VOTE] Release Codec 1.1
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:43:02 GMT
While codec has never officially had a "1.0" release it has been in use
outside of Jakarta Commons for a few months.  I propose that we release the
initial "official release" of Codec under a "1.1" release.

Here's some background:

Codec's two main offerings are Base64 and Hex.  Base64 is a product of two
implementations ( commons-httpclient and xml-rpc ) which had been
maintaining separate copies of a Base64 implementation which had been
developed in the Catalina codebase.   These separate implementations had
diverged somewhat with bug fixes being applied to discard whitespace, and
content chunking being introduced to adhere to the RFCs that deal with MIME
attactments.  The Base64 class in org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64 is
the result of a dialog between members of the httpclient and xml-rpc team.

Codec also contains a number of useful language encoders - Soundex,
Metaphone, RefinedSoundex.

The release candidate can be downloaded from
http://cvs.apache.org/~tobrien/codec/1_1/RC1/

Voting will take place on commons-dev.

I'll start this off with a +1.

- Tim

Codec 1.1 Release
[ ] +1  I support this release and will help
[ ] +0  I support this release but am unable to help
[ ] -0  I do not support this release
[ ] -1  I do not support this release and here are my reasons: