commons-dev mailing list archives

From tobr...@transolutions.net (O'brien, Tim)
Subject RE: Adding public domain code to jakarta-commons
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 05:49:02 GMT
Stephen,

You are right.   JADE is not entirely covered by the LGPL.

TypeFormat.java the source code, is CLEARLY set apart form the rest of the
JADE distribution as being in the "public domain" and not being covered by a
copyright. Take a look at the block comment at the start of the source code
of TypeFormat.java:

/*
 * J.A.D.E. Java(TM) Addition to Default Environment.
 * Latest release available at http://jade.dautelle.com/
 * This class is public domain (not copyrighted).
 */

And then take a look at the block comment at the start of
RadioactiveActivity.java:

/*
 * J.A.D.E. Java(TM) Addition to Default Environment.
 * Latest release available at http://jade.dautelle.com/
 * Copyright (C) 2003 Jean-Marie Dautelle.
 *
 * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under
 * the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the
Free
 * Software Foundation (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html); either
version
 * 2.1 of the License, or any later version.
 */

It does appear that the intent was to put generic utilities in the public
domain and apply the LGPL ONLY to JADE's physics, money, math, etc.

As far as integrating something from the public domain, read that Wiki page,
seems like it might still be a good idea to get an opinion from the Board
via the PMC.  That Wiki page contains an answer to a question about
integrating public domain code - but again, Wiki is *very* unofficial.

--------
Tim O'Brien
Transolutions, Inc.
W 847-574-2143