commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: [LANG] Bugzilla id 17882
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:34:56 GMT
Henri Yandell <bayard@generationjava.com> writes:

>Personally I'm against them.

>If we do this method, why are we not adding a char override for every
>method that takes a String as an argument in that way? ie) countMatches,
>chomp/chompLast[after renaming], getNestedString, indexOfAny, leftPad,
>replace, reverseDelimitedString, strip etc.

>Is there any reason why split/join are special?

I need them. :-) And splitting at a single char / joining with a
single char as delimiter is needed very often and using '.' is more
efficient than "."

>StringUtils is already huge and adding lots of overrides just seems to
>make it even larger. Just looking at the javadoc, I have to wonder why we
>need the Object[] and the Iterator [okay, i'm actually for this one] and
>why we don't have an Iterator option for concatenate.

Then we should thing about using the current StringUtils as a frontend
facade for some split up classes and then deprecate StringUtils stuff
later.

>Just my -2 new pence :)

	Regards
		Henning