commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Adding Purple to StringUtils
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:52:42 GMT

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Alex Chaffee / Purple Technology wrote:

> I'll list these independently, so we can start haggling over
>
> 1. yea or nay
> 2. naming
> 3. API / method signature
> 4. appropriate package (if lang.StringUtils is not the right place)

Seems good.

> for each in turn.  Naturally, I'm open to any negotiation; the methods
> I'd really like to lobby for are htmlescape and strdiffVerbose.
>
>  - Alex
>
> * isWhitespace(String str)
>
> Returns true if the str contains only whitespace characters.
>
> Fills a gap in the isAlphanumeric family.  (Funny that isWhitespace is
> the only one of the bunch that I had occasion to write!)

Already there. I suspect it's just not in the 1.0 release.

> * abbreviate(String str, int max)
>
> Turn "Now is the time for all good men" into "Now is the time for..."
>
> Specifically:
>
> If str is less than max characters long, return it.
> Else abbreviate it to (substring(str, 0, max-3) + "...").
> If max is less than 3, throw an IllegalArgumentException.
> In no case will it return a string of length greater than max.

String Taglib has a truncateNicely method which is similar to this. I like
the abbreviate name and am yea on this, as long as it incorporates
trunc-nicely [STATUS.html has a note to add truncateNicely]

> * String strdiff(String s1, String s2)
>
> Compare two strings, and return the portion where they differ.  (More
> precisely, return the remainder of the second string, starting from
> where it's different from the first.)
> e.g. strdiff("i am a machine", "i am a robot") -> "robot"
>
> * int strdiffat(String s1, String s2)
>
> Compare two strings, and return the index at which the strings begin
> to diverge.
> E.g. strdiff("i am a machine", "i am a robot") -> 7<p>
> return -1 if they are the same

yea on both of these.

> * String strdiffVerbose(String expected, String actual)
>
> Compare two strings, and return a verbose description of how
> they differ. Shows a window around the location to provide
> context.
>
> E.g. strdiffVerbose("i am a robot", "i am a machine") might return a
> string containing
>
> strings differ at character 7
> Expected: ...am a robot
>   Actual: ...am a machine
>
> This was developed in order to provide some sanity to JUnit's
> assertEquals display.

Nay. It's not a 'util' but an applicatin on top of the utils.

> * String rtrim(String orig)
> * String ltrim(String orig)
>
> Trim the whitespace off the right or left side of a String
> only. (Probably rename trimRight and trimLeft.)

stripStart and stripEnd I believe.

> * int maxLength(Iterator i)
>
> return the length of the longest string in i.  If i contains other
> than strings, uses toString() value.

Not convinced. StringUtils has a stripAll(String[]), which is also a bit
daft. Really we're just duplicating every method to get a map() function.

map( StringUtils.strip, array )

though the above has a touch of max logic to it. I think it is silly for
us to add these. [quick note to implement 'map' in Java].

> * htmlescape(String)     (should rename: escapeHtml)
> * htmlunescape(String)   (should rename: unescapeHtml)
>
> Turns funky characters into HTML entity equivalents (and vice versa).
> This is far and away the most-used function I have.  There is
> definitely a need for it to be in Commons.  Apparently there's some
> debate as to whether it's appropriate for StringUtils.

Definitely not going to get in StringUtils. It is a very useful function
though.

> My code supports all the named entities I know about. See
> http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/special_characters/
>

> * String jsEscape    (should rename: escapeJavaScript)
>
> JavaScript's string escaping is nearly identical to Java's, and it's
> sort of a no-brainer to support it as well as Java.  (In JS, a single
> quote is escaped; in Java it's not.)
>
> * uncurlQuotes(String)
>
> Turn Windows and Mac curly-quotes into their non-curly ASCII equivalents.
>

> * capitalize
>
> Properly-spelled version of capitalise :-)

Hey, I offered to rename it :) The general consensus was that there was no
reason to enforce such spelling.

> * lowerize
>
> Symmetrical with capitalize. Turn the first character into a
> lower-case letter.

uncapitalize :) Not as amusing as lowerize, but same feature.

> * pluralize
>
> turn String s into a plural English noun (doing the right thing with
> "story" -> "stories" and "mess" -> "messes")

Does it handle all english though? ie) It will fail on pluralising abacus
etc.

> * toUnderscore
>
> Converts camelCaseVersusC to camel_case_versus_c
>
> I'd love to get some ideas on a better name for this.  Also, it'd be
> nice to have a full, symmetrical set of camelCase vs. under_score
> vs. CONSTANT_NAMING vs. "separate words" naming style converters.

Hmm. Probably a bit specific for StringUtils. Do people often need this?

> * getStackTrace(Throwable t)
>
> Convenience method to get a stack trace as a string:
>         StringWriter s = new StringWriter();
>         PrintWriter p = new PrintWriter(s);
>         t.printStackTrace(p);
>         p.close();
>         return s.toString();

This ought to already exist in ExceptionUtils. It made the journey out of
StringUtils early on.

Hen