commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Finnerty" <scott.finne...@digitalevergreen.com>
Subject [patch] allow (enforce) zero idle objects in GenericObjectPool
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:30:40 GMT
We have a situation where we are managing LDAP connections and want
to setup to use a pool to manage the connections.  In one deployment
of the application, the LDAP server we are using does not allow
connections to remain idle/open for any length of time, so we need
to configure the pool to always hand out new connections and destroy
them when they are returned.  We thought we could do this with a
maxIdle setting of zero.  However GenericObjectPool will consider
destroying an object if the maxIdle is greater than zero - forcing
you to have at least one idle object in your pool.

The javadoc for GenericObjectPool states that a non-positive value for
maxIdle implies an unlimited number of idle objects, while the javadoc
for GenericObjectPool.setMaxIdle(int) states that a negative value for
maxIdle implies an unlimited number of idle objects.  It seems that
"non-positive" implies zero or less (<= 0) because that is how the
code behaves.

I've attached a patch that changes the behavior to only enforce
maxIdle if it is non-negative - thereby allowing a pool to have zero
idle objects.

Scott Finnerty
Technical Director
Direct: 816.512.9359